|“||CLUTCH BUTTON: IT DOES THINGS||”|
|–Welcome to Slap City!|
Clutch, or clutching, is an action that modifies the properties of certain moves when pressing the clutch button. When holding down the clutch button, a special icon (⌥) will appear over the player's head.
The clutch reversal is the most common use of the clutch mechanic across the cast. By pressing the clutch button during specific moves, you can completely reverse your momentum while using the move. This is indicated by a whoosh sound effect and a trailing dust cloud. Every character can use this technique for at least one of their moves.
The following moves can be clutch reversed:
- Air Strong (Raft) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Neutral Special (Fire Mace)
- Side Special (Bomb)
- Down Special (Butt)
- Neutral Special (Whirlwind Dance) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Air Strong (Daredevil) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Neutral Special (Axe Throw)
- Side Special (Boomerang Axe)
Ultra Fishbunjin 3000
- Air Strong (Dumbbell)
- Neutral Special (Flex)
- Down Special (Hammer Drop) (aerial version)
- Side Special (Flask)
Business Casual Man
- Air Strong (Boss Key) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Side Special (Out to Lunch)
Goddess of Explosions
- Forward Strong (ATOMIC PILE BUNKER) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Neutral Special (DIMENSIONAL MELTDOWN)
- Side Special (THROWING STAR)
- Down Air (CATACLYSMIC HEEL KICK) (the bounce recoil after landing a hit can be clutched)
- Air Strong (Aerial Rocket gun) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Side Special (Pill barrage)
- Down Special (Cosmic Wind)
- Neutral Special (Mining Laser)
- Down Special (Rock Smasher) (only immediately after beginning the move)
- Air Strong (Hälta hälta) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Neutral Special (Sprängknäckare)
- Forward Special (Praktkaramell) (before the hitbox comes out)
- Down Special (Turboknycklare) (aerial version)
Along with momentum reversing, clutch can be used for various other actions, both universal and character-specific.
- The clutch button can be used to dash cancel or tech, just like the defend (shield) button.
- Pressing the clutch button while hanging on the ledge will make you perform a wall jump off of the ledge.
- Pressing the clutch button while touching a wall in mid-air will make you perform a wall jump.
- Pressing the clutch button while moonwalking will extend the duration that you can moonwalk. Pressing the button late in the moonwalk will allow you to get the maximum distance.
- Holding the clutch button while shielding will force a light shield, making the shield as large as possible and increasing shield pushback from attacks. This can also be done by lightly holding the analog shoulder buttons on a controller (if one is bound to defend).
- Holding the clutch button while in the air prevents fastfalling, allowing for down air attacks or specials to be performed without the risk of inputting a fastfall.
- Holding the clutch button forces you to dash, regardless of how far you tilt the analog stick.
- While respawning, you can change which direction you face when reappearing on the stage by holding left or right on the analog stick. Holding clutch will cause you to spawn in the opposite direction that you hold.
- Down Special (Lightning Dive)
- Changes the vertical direction instead of the horizontal, only effective in the air at the cost of one jump.
- Down Tilt (Skate)
- Keeps the skateboard out, putting Jenny in a "cruise" state. While cruising, you can jump, do a flip by pressing the attack button, or change directions with the special button. After doing 15 flips, you'll catch fire and zoom around much faster. When on fire, the flip becomes a powerful spike attack (named Infernal Burial), and you can change directions in mid-air.
- Forward Air (Giant Swing)
- Delays the attack for up to 30 additional frames, allowing you choose when to strike with it, or to land without attacking instead. This can also be done by holding the attack button or c-stick. Holding it for the full duration unleashes a powered up version.
Business Casual Man
- Holding the clutch button when using any of your Sell attacks will prevent the move from Selling.
- Grab (Supergrab)
- Holding the clutch button while pressing grab performs a slower grab which has armor that prevents knockback.
- Holding the clutch button when using Tetron's grounded strong attacks gives him a quick boost of speed which propels him in the direction of the attack.
- Forward Throw (Focus Expel)
- Hold the clutch button while doing a forward throw on an opponent 150 damage or higher to use Focus Expel, an extremely powerful laser attack.
Clutch can also be used to execute actions that have no practical use, often existing as expanded taunts.
- Taunt (Sassgiving)
- Ignites the dynamite in the taunt animation.
- Taunt (Number One in Slap City)
- Activates an entirely new taunt animation, where he looks around nervously before pulling his sword out from his mouth. Unlike the standard taunt, this taunt is identical for all costumes.
- Taunt (Confetti Dance)
- Keeps the animation going until the clutch button is released. If the dance advances far enough, her next up strong will throw a fire axe.
Business Casual Man
- Taunt (Public Relations)
- Makes BCM barf out money until the button is released. The attack and special buttons can be used to spin around.
- Taunt (Dance)
- Makes Frallan dance for as long as taunt is held.
- Taunt (Construct)
- Tetron constructs a robot out of his cannon arms. Has a 1/40 chance of constructing an upside-down Elite.
- Dash 40 times in less than 2 seconds to slip, normally performable only by using clutch to stutter-dash.
- Taunt (Mucka gräl)
- Orka spits out a watermelon seed, which deals 1 damage and a little bit of knockback.
- Clutch as a mechanic wasn't originally part of Slap City at all. It was introduced in the patch following BCM's introduction, because he initially didn't have a way to prevent selling his moves.